Friday, 27 January 2012

sticky gingerbread

I made this on New Year's Day and forgot to blog about it. Needless to say it's long gone. I need to make more because the photos make me want to make it - and eat it - all over again. :o)

sticky gingerbread

12 oz plain flour
2 level tsp ground ginger
2 level tsp ground cinnamon
8 oz butter
8 oz soft brown sugar
4 oz syrup
4 oz treacle
½ pint warm milk (1 min in m/wave)
2 level tsp bicarb of soda
2 eggs - beaten

Heat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/GM3.

1. Grease and line a deep baking tray (eg a roasting tin) measuring approx 8" x 11". Hold the paper to the edges of the tray with mini bulldog clips. (I learnt that from watching Martha Stewart on the telly over the Christmas period. It's a genius idea which works really well. The paper no longer falls into the cake mix!)
2. Sieve flour and spices into a large bowl.
3. Melt the sugar, syrup, butter and treacle in a large saucepan.
4. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Mix the warm milk with the bicarb and stir into the flour mixture.
6. Stir in the eggs.
As you can see the mixture is very wet. It's meant to be!

7. Pour into the baking tray.

8. Bake for 1 hour until a skewer pushed into the gingerbread comes out clean.

9. Cool. Cut into either big squares or slices.

Eat spread with butter or sprinkled with caster sugar.

It allegedly improves with keeping but mine never gets a chance to improve as it's always eaten really quickly.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm - it was tasty! Let's make more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, that looks delicious and really moist inside. Definitely not good for my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sticky black gingerbread, I make this all the time. Good to note it freezes really well, I make double, eat the first batch and then bring out a slice at a time from the freezer batch! YUMMMM! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)