Friday, 23 December 2011

Auntie Mary's orange juice et al

First of all, I cut the Christmas cake this morning so Douglas could take part of it over to his mum. It was a relief that it looked so good inside! :o)

Next, I made some orange juice today. This is a standard in our house and has been ever since the girls were wee. We don't drink a lot of it in the winter time but we go through masses of it in the summer.

This is it sitting in the bowl ready to be covered and left to steep overnight. Tomorrow I'll strain it and put it in a bottle or covered jug - whichever there's room for in the fridge!

Here's the recipe:

AUNTIE MARY’S ORANGE JUICE

4 large or 6 medium oranges
1⅔ cups sugar
1 tbsp citric acid **editing to say: you can use the juice of 2 lemons in place of 1 tbsp of citric acid**
1 pint boiling water

Wipe the oranges and grate the rind into a bowl.
Cut fruit in half and squeeze juice and pips into the bowl.
Add sugar and citric acid and mix.
Pour on boiling water.
Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar is all dissolved.
Cover and allow to stand overnight.
Strain and bottle.
Dilute to taste.

The reason it's called Auntie Mary's orange juice is my Auntie Mary always had it for us to drink when we went to her house as children. I got the recipe from her when we got married and have used it ever since.

Oh, and Zanna - I have to reply to you here because I don't know how to get in touch with you! The fondant icing I used on the cake was in a packet, already in a block. All I had to do was manipulate it a bit and then roll it out. No mixing involved at all. :o)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Christmas Anne :) that's how we get our fondant too, I was hoping there was a mix out there that could make small bits at a time.

    Wishing you & yours a very happy Christmas! and you can always reach me at zanna@triad.rr.com I just forget to sign with it a lot of the time when I post comments, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)