Monday, 21 March 2011

5 minute bread

I'd been seeing blog posts about 5 minute bread all over the place and decided to investigate it.

I found the book on amazon and sent for it lickety split.



It arrived on Friday and I sat and read all I needed to read, went out and got the ingredients (I didn't have the right type of flour) and set to getting it all started.

You mix water, yeast, salt and flour in a 5 litre plastic box and stir it all together. No kneading involved. Yay!

I forgot to take a photo when I first got it all mixed but this was what it looked like after it had sat for a few hours at room temperature. It has approximately tripled in size!



And this was what the yeasty mixture looked like.



The instructions suggested that, for the first time of making, you should leave it in the fridge overnight so, always being one who does what she's told - and if you believe that, you'll believe anything LOL - I did that.

On Saturday morning, I dug into the box and pulled out a lump of the dough and vaguely shaped it into a blob. The dough's really sticky and so it didn't shape too easily but I reckoned it didn't really matter what it looked like as long as it tasted good.



I let it come to itself for 40 minutes - it didn't rise, it just got rid of the coldness from the fridge - then baked it in the oven for 30 minutes.





Believe me, it tastes as good as it looks!

We had it again on Sunday for lunch and there's still enough left in the fridge for either one slightly bigger loaf or maybe 2 smaller ones. The mix is meant to keep in the fridge for 2 weeks but there's no way it'll last that long - because it'll be eaten long before then.

I'm really glad I got sucked in to this latest craze. The bread really is delish!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really going to have to get the recipe for this as it really was delish! I could have freshly baked bread for my breakfast every morning!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)