Friday, 7 January 2011

watch straps and a cover for an old stool

Joanna gave me a watch face for my Christmas and various ribbons to put on the watch face as watch straps. I wore the watch on a couple of occasions with the ribbon just tied around my wrist but I was a bit worried that the knot would untie itself and I'd lose the watch.

So I decided to use some velcro to fasten the ribbons. I tried with a piece of ribbon I had in my ribbon box first in case it didn't work. I used full width velcro - about 1.5cm (5/8") but that made it just a wee bit hard to get the ribbon threaded through the sprongs of the watch face. (I'm sure sprong is not a word but it'll do for now! LOL)

I decided to halve the width of the velcro and that worked beautifully. I used a narrow zigzag stitch to attach the velcro as the thread tended to get eaten by the hook side of the velcro if I sewed it with a straight stitch.

Anyway, I spent this afternoon sewing all the ribbons that came with the watch:



And a few more from my ribbon box:



I then turned my attention to an old stool which badly needed a new cover. I didn't take a before photo - believe me, it was bad - but here's the after:



A good afternoon's work if I do say so myself. :o)

2 comments:

  1. The watch straps are too cool! Love them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to have all those changes for your watch. And your new stool is very pretty -- don't you just love it that you have the skills to spruce things up?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)