Tuesday, 4 May 2010

how it went

The concert last Friday went quite well. I won't say it was perfect - the day we do a perfect concert will be the day we see blue snow! LOL

The last thing our conductor, Susan, said to us before we went on was that she didn't want us to worry about the words or the notes. If we couldn't remember what came next, we were to just stop singing and join back in when we could. Or in some of the songs, we were just to sing the tune and it would all be fine. Most of all, she wanted us to enjoy ourselves.

The funniest thing that happened as far as I was concerned was in a song called "Dashing Away with the Smoothing Iron". We were on the Wednesday verse and I was very aware that the choir was getting quieter and quieter. Surely everyone wasn't forgetting the words/notes all at the same time?

This was one of the songs where we could just sing the tune so, when everyone else was getting quieter, I just kept singing "dashing away with the smoothing iron" until at one point, I was left singing it on my own! Susan looked at me and I couldn't make up my mind if it was a glower for singing on my own or a "thank goodness Anne kept singing" look!

Anyway, she quickly brought everyone back in for the last line of that verse and everyone seemed to have a mass remembering as on we went with the Thursday verse and the rest of the song as if nothing had happened.

After we'd finished, Susan turned to the audience and said "they have a lot of trouble with that song because they can't remember the days of the week!". LOL

I looked up the music when I got home and the bit I had sung on my own was actually the alto line - not mine at all. Oooops! :oD

I'm sure Susan will have a few things to say to us at this week's rehearsal - like learn "Dashing" better for the next concert in 2 weeks' time!

2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you were still singing! Whatever would she have done if everyone went quiet? It sounds like a fun group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I thought, Anna. Better to have a solo voice than dead quiet!

    Let's hope she was thinking the same thing! :oD

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)