Wednesday, 24 March 2010

tablet

Anna asked about tablet. Yes it's what you would call candy. We, in Scotland, call it a sweetie. And, let me tell you, it is VERY sweet. But good. And delicious. And oh so moreish! That's why I only make it at Christmas.

Although all this talk of tablet is making me want to make it - and eat it - right now! LOL

Here's a fuzzy photo of my tablet.



And the recipe. Enjoy! :o)

TABLET

½ cup milk
1lb sugar
2 tbsp syrup
knob of butter - about the size of a walnut

Put in pan and melt SLOWLY until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil and boil until it reaches "soft ball" on a sugar thermometer. Remove from heat and beat with an electric beater for about 2 - 2½ mins. Put into a greased baking tray. Cut while still warm.

This is kind of a hit and a miss recipe. I've been making it for years and it still sometimes won't set. If/when that happens, I just scrape it all back into the pan and reheat it to the right temperature and do it all again.

If it sets before it even gets out of the pan - no worries. It still tastes good even if it looks ugly! LOL

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for re-printing your recipe! (I did click on it yesterday because the suspense was too much for me LOL.) I'll have to try it -- although, it's in line behind your cookie recipes from a few days ago -- I was thinking of them again just this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a sugar rush coming on if you make and eat all of them, Anna. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum! my granny is scottish and loves tablet, my mum always tried to make it and would swear and say it wasn't perfect but I think I might give it a try as a pressie for my granny!!!!!!

    and yes I may be your 9000th visitor from Anna's blog, she's popular you know and now so are you! your recipes are gorgeous and I'll be back for more

    Corrie from australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corrie - nice to meet you. I hope the tablet turns out well for you - and your Granny! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Moira - nice to meet you too! :o)

    No this recipe doesn't use condensed milk. I keep meaning to try a recipe which does use it but I like this one so much I'm happy just sticking with it. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)