Anyway, my local fabric shop only had a few cottons and they were £6.99 per metre. 2.3 metres x £7 didn't make for a cheap nightie so I had almost given up on the idea of making them. I was sure I'd be able to buy them for less than that. Well, I could - but not in cotton.
Last week, Joanna wanted to go to Ikea to get some shelves and other stuff for her kitchen. As I had no Singers that night, I decided to tag along with her - Douglas was delegated to drive us. Well, there in Ikea's curtain fabric department there was pure cotton curtain fabric at £1.99 per metre. Of course I bought some - enough to make 3 nighties! And I spent less than it would have cost to by enough for one nightie at my local fabric shop.
Okay, it's curtain fabric but it's like a kitchen or bathroom weight - not a heavy curtain fabric at all. I washed it and tumble-dried it and then made 3 nighties. I LOVE them!
Next subject - buttons.
I was reading Joanna's explanation of why she'd wanted buttons on her blog and I remembered as a child being allowed to play in my mum's button box. I could spend ages just finding matching buttons or stacking all the red ones or deciding on a favourite button etc etc.
Now my buttons were all separated into glass jars in their separate colours. Not exactly exciting to play in or even look at. So I decided to put them into one box. I might regret it one day if I'm looking for a specific colour but, oh my goodness, I LOVE this box. I bet Joanna does too!
And, finally - the ripples. I finished the ripple blankie this afternoon. I LOVE it!
So does Rosie! :oD