Friday, 29 January 2010

enjoy the moment

I was swimming along in the pool on Wednesday morning thinking about what I had to do with the rest of my day when it struck me that I wasn't exactly enjoying the moment.

What do I mean by that? Well, I was so busy thinking about what I had to do when I got home that I wasn't enjoying the swim. I *was* enjoying the swim but I wasn't paying attention to the enjoyment.

I then got to thinking about other times that I didn't put any "effort" into just enjoying the moment and I realised I do it all the time.

For example, when I'm eating my breakfast and drinking my first mug of tea of the day - am I enjoying the breakfast & tea? Well, sure. But I'm again thinking of whatever I have to do that day. I'm not concentrating on enjoying the moment.

I'm not saying it's bad to plan my day or to know the best way to sew the next bag I'm planning or even to go over the songs for Singers in the pool as I swim along but surely, if I'm doing something I enjoy it's almost a waste of enjoyment to not enjoy the moment.

Since Wednesday I've been trying to enjoy the moment more. Even when I was doing things where my mind would normally wander, I tried not to let it.

When I was driving, I'd try to enjoy the drive - and the music coming out of my CD player - rather than get annoyed at the plonkers cutting me up or undertaking.

Even when I was doing the ironing this morning, I tried to enjoy the moment. I'm not saying I enjoyed doing the ironing - who does? - but I did enjoy the satisfaction when it was finished! :o)

This afternoon I was crocheting more hexagons for the blankie I'm making. As I crocheted round and round - hexagon and hexagon?? - I concentrated on enjoying the moment and not on anything else.

In all the above examples, I was pleased at how calm I felt. Maybe it was just the fact that I wasn't thinking "I have to do this and then that and then …" but I like to think that enjoying the moment was having the calming effect.

So my January 29th Resolution is to enjoy the moment! :o)

2 comments:

  1. That's so hard to do -- like you, I'm always thinking ahead to what I want to do next. Thanks for a great reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)