Sunday, 9 August 2009

What is it like?

I found a piece of paper tucked into the dictionary when I was doing the crossword this morning and on it was a poem I had written a long time ago. I think I was maybe 12 or 13 when I wrote it judging by the writing but I can't be sure.

Here is my poetic masterpiece - the punctuation is exactly as it is on the piece of paper.

What is it like?

What is it like to be a house?
To watch the people going in and out
To see children playing in the yard
To see trains and buses and motor cars
And still you stay as quiet as a mouse
What is it like to be a house?

What is it like to be a tree?
Beside the city, beside the sea,
Near the houses, in the smoke,
Near the farms and the country folk,
One of the things which interests me is
What is it like to be a tree?

What is it like to be a cat?
A dog, a door or a Sunday hat,
A ruler, a pen, a pencil or book,
A sparrow, a robin or a big black rook
Or even the moon which I am now seeing
Enjoying the life of a human being.

2 comments:

  1. That's an awesome poem for such a young girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it - it's fab! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)