Wednesday, 19 August 2009

how to make a placemat bag

I've been making these for years - at least 4, if not 5. I've been making a few recently for this table I *might* be taking at a charity event in November. Just in case anyone would like to make one, here's how I make them. :o)

How to make a placemat bag.
Take a placemat and fold it in half, right sides together with the fold on the short side.

Sew up the side seams with about a ½" seam.

This next bit is more difficult to explain than it is to do - honest!
Take the bottom corner and flatten it out so that the seam you have just sewn is in the middle. The corner forms a triangle. Measure about 1½" down from the point of the triangle. Draw a line across the width of your triangle and sew along that line. To reduce bulk, I cut off the triangle about ¼" out from the seam.

Turn the bag right sides out - that’s the bag bit done!

Handles can be made from lots of things - other placemats cut into strips and finished off, beads, rope, chain - whatever takes your fancy! I usually make them about 16" long and place them 3½" in from the side seams. If I make them out of strips of another placemat, I cut them into 2" strips, overlock (serge) the edges then turn the edges in to meet at the centre and stitch them down. That way there are no bulky seams which you would get if you made a tube and turned it.

If you want to line the bag, cut your lining to the same size as the placemat and make a bag section as above. For the handles, I usually just fold a piece of the lining fabric in the same way as I did the handles and then top stitch them to the handles down each side.

Line the handles first and then put your lining bag inside your placemat bag with wrong sides together. Fold over ½" on the top edge of the lining and top stitch the bag bits together around the top edge.

All done! :o)

Here's a few I've made in the past.

3 comments:

  1. I love those bags, you are so talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne, thanks for your comments on my new blog, it took me ages to work out how to change the time but I have finally done it, so thanks again, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)