Thursday, 25 June 2009

a bit of a d'uh moment

When the nurse was here yesterday, she asked me if I was still taking painkillers. I told her, proudly, that I wasn't.

I explained that I had been taking paracetamols and ibuprofens after breakfast, lunch and tea every day since March. When we'd been in Ireland, though, we weren't having meals at set times (other than breakfast) and some days I'd realise I hadn't had my lunchtime or teatime tablets and hadn't really missed them. So, when we came home, I stopped taking them altogether.

The nurse looked at me and said "Are you in pain?". I said "Only slightly" to which she replied "If you're in pain, why aren't you taking painkillers?".

I said I thought I could manage without them and was happy that I wasn't filling my body with more chemicals. She just looked at me and said "That's not worth worrying about. If you're in pain, you need to take painkillers. Believe me, you get no prizes for not taking them and you'll feel so much better if you do."

She suggested that I didn't need to take both types again and, if Ibuprofen doesn't upset my stomach, I'd be better taking those.

So, yesterday, after lunch, I took some Ibuprofen. I kid you not, within 20 minutes, my right wrist, which had been aching for days, was "all better". And other bits that I didn't realise were aching - weren't. Talk about a d'uh moment!

Well, believe me, I won't be stopping taking them again any time soon!

3 comments:

  1. I think you and my husband might be related.

    He doesn't want to take things even when he knows it will make him feel better. Why? Because he doesn't like taking things. Apparently he doesn't like feeling better. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I know, I don't have any American relatives, Mel. But maybe he and I could have been separated at birth - even though I'm probably old enough to be his mum! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're back on the painkillers. Pain stresses your body and makes it harder to heal. OK, I'm done being your mum...you kmow I just want you to be OK! :O)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)