Friday, 29 May 2009

I made a start

This morning, Joanna and I joined a gym. I don't intend to use any of the gym equipment (yet) but I do intend to use the swimming pool. After we got all the details sorted and paid the money, we went for a swim.

Jings! I was aching after a couple of lengths - and this wasn't even full pool lengths. Oh well, I've got psoriatic arthritis so I'm not going to get down on myself because I'm a bit achy. I just have to keep going and, hopefully, in a few weeks/months, I'll be swimming more and more lengths before I start to ache. After the swim, I sat in the jacuzzi for a while and that made the aches loosen up a wee bit.

Then this afternoon I had my first appointment with the physiotherapist. She was delighted that I had decided to go swimming - I can't do my joints any harm in the pool so the more I do, the better. She showed me quite a few exercises to do to loosen up my shoulders and arms and to strengthen my back muscles. And others to make my thumb loosen up and a few more for my legs and feet.

None of these exercises are difficult and I intend to do them as often as I can. It's up to me to get this body working again and today I made a start. Good for me! :o)

2 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! I'm so happy you joined the gym and got exercises from the physiotherapist. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeay! Go mum! Go Beanie! WOOHOO! :o) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)