Friday, 17 April 2009

Selkirk Bannock

I made a Selkirk Bannock last night. It's basically a fruit bread. I don't think I kneaded mine long enough as it's not light and airy as I think it should be but it tastes very yummy. Next time I make it, I might put it into the bread machine to do the kneading - why have a dog and bark yourself? - then take it out to shape it into a ball.

Here's the photo:


And the recipe:

Selkirk Bannock

250g (8oz) plain strong white flour
½ tsp salt
40g (1½ oz) butter
40g (1½ oz) sugar
150ml (¼ pt) warm milk
7g dried yeast = 1 packet
250g (8oz) sultanas
beaten egg to glaze

200ºC fan, 425ºF, GM7

Sift the flour, salt, sugar and yeast into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Put the warm milk into the well and bring together to make a smooth dough.

Knead for about 10 minutes and shape into a ball. Put it on to a lined baking sheet and put in a warm place for about 1½ - 2 hours to allow it to rise.

Paint with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Keep it in an airtight tin - if it lasts that long!

2 comments:

  1. that looks amazing! Yum! I'm going to try that!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It smelled (smelt? LOL) so good. Shame that I don't do dried fruits!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)