Tuesday, 18 April 2017

best Auntie ever!

Before Emily arrived, Joanna (Auntie in the title of this post) got busy making a mobile for her. It has various felt things hanging on it - all made by Joanna. A Scottish saltire (flag)

... a saw (her daddy's a talented woodworker), a pink E for Emily ...

... a moose with a maple leaf hanging behind it (daddy's Canadian) ...

... a bright yellow daisy ...

... a camera (Debbie (mama) is an excellent photographer) ...

... a chocolate chip cookie ...

and Molly (her dog).

As you'll have noticed in all of the above photos, Emily LOVES her mobile. Absolutely adores it. Her wee baby suit says it all!

Sunday, 16 April 2017

sewing for the tartan bee

I seem to have a lot of catching up to do around here so today I'll make a start by showing the pinnies, bags and baby quilts I made a few weeks ago for the tartan bee shop. In total I made 7 pinnies (one has already sold - yay!), 14 shopping bags (2 of each fabric) and 2 baby quilts.

I have a few things more to show that I've made but I'll save those for another day. In the meantime, here's one of my favouritest (!!) photos of me and Emily.

Tuesday, 4 April 2017

an Emily from Emily for Emily

Joanna brought a gift bag with her when she came along yesterday.

It was from her friend Emily for our wee Emily.

But what's inside the bag?

Or rather - who's inside the bag?

The most beautifully knitted dolly.

And her name is ... Emily!

Isn't she gorgeous? Look at the flowers on her hat!

Her ringlets.

Her long frilly bloomers and her pretty pink shoes.

She even has a pretty flower on the back of her dress.

What a fabulous gift. It was knitted by (Joanna's friend) Emily's mum especially for our wee Emily and her name is Emily. Isn't that just so amazing? What's even more amazing is that neither Emily or her mum have met Debbie or Jason or our wee Emily - or me or Douglas, come to that! Isn't that wonderful? We think so!

Sunday, 26 March 2017

some sewing!

I made myself a waterfall cardigan ages ago and am only now getting around to blogging about it. I used the Harper jacket pattern from StyleArc.

It made up really quickly and fits me really well - yay! - but the edges were to be left raw or overlocked. I overlocked mine - even though I didn't really like the idea of having unfinished edges. (To me, overlocked edges are not finished edges - they are on the inside of a garment but not on the outside!)

The first time I wore it, sure enough, the overlocking got caught in something and I just knew I had to do something about that. So I did. I made some bias binding with a navy blue polycotton which was a pretty close match and attached that to the edges. Much better now!

Here's the blankie I made for Emily after she arrived.

Originally, I was going to embroider the "worth the wait" bit on a piece of fleece and back it with the heart fabric but I somehow managed to embroider it sideways! What a numpty!

I had a bit of a rethink and came up with the idea of cutting out the embroidery into a big heart and attaching that to the heart fabric. I then attached the pink fleece to the back and quilted it in hearts. I used a bright pink for the binding which is pretty close to the colour of the fleece - and the hearts on the heart fabric.

I actually think the re-do is much better than my original idea was. I'm soooo pleased with it and Debbie told me it was her favourite blankie as it really is true. Awwwww!

Of course, I had to make a very special label for this very special baby's very special blankie!

I've spent this last week making lots of pinnies (7) and bags (14) for the tartan bee shop - more of those in a later post - but I did make a new pinny for myself. This was a remnant which cost me all of £1 and I had the tapes already. Bargain - and pretty with it!

Thursday, 16 March 2017

meeting Emily

Debbie and baby Emily finally got home from the hospital on Tuesday so we went to visit them yesterday. I might be ever so slightly biased but Emily is gorgeous! Here she is asleep in her moses basket with a new blankie I made for her last weekend.

Cuddling with her mama.

Emily and her Grammie - my new name!

Emily and her Papa - Douglas's new name!

Emily with her Auntie Joanna - Tilly was not very sure at all about this wee thing that kept making funny noises.

Emily with her Grammie and Papa.

Emily with her daddy. I *love* this photo!!

The new family. Yes, Debbie has tears in her eyes - happy tears. Very happy tears!

And this one really made me giggle. I think Emily's going to fit right in with us! LOL